“Coming to our little school feels like coming home to your second family. People are warm and inclusive, someone is sweeping, someone is in the parent lounge knitting and chatting, someone is setting up the paints or a craft activity, someone is baking muffins, and someone is getting water for some spring flowers. There is no school bell telling us to start lessons, the rhythm of the day is not determined by our clocks, but by sensible transitions. Teachers share their expertise and experiences with each other, and the overall feel of the school atmosphere is peaceful and gentle.”
– Gudrun von Selzam, early-childhood teacher, WISE
- High degree of autonomy, support and appreciation.
- Casual, warm, loving atmosphere.
- Natural, high quality supplies, including plant-based water-colour paints, beeswax crayons, beeswax sculpting materials, wooden flutes, wool yarn/roving, strong & thick painting paper.
- A lovely, aesthetically beautiful working environment; the classrooms and the entire facility are carefully designed with calmness and beauty in mind.
- A connection with nature, personal expression and seasonal celebration
- Challenging, fulfilling work, where teachers are able to develop long-lasting relationships with students.
- Conscientious, inspiring co-workers, who are committed to making the world a better place through education.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
- Waldorf schools are faculty-run, and all our teachers have the opportunity to help grow and shape the role of teachers in our school.
- A child’s best interests are at the heart of our school, and we will support our teachers in making the right decisions for all of their students, regardless of red tape or financial considerations.
The WISE Currently employs:
- Class Teachers ~ Ideal Candidates to be Waldorf Class Teachers at our school will be willing to commit to taking a class from Grade 1-8 (or stay with the class as many years as possible) and will either have or be in the process of acquiring Waldorf training/accreditation. Class Teachers are given a high degree of autonomy and responsibility, and their work is both challenging and fulfilling!
- Out-of-school Care
- Nursery school
- Home-schooling arts enrichment
- Home-schooling Facilitator
- Specialty teachers
We employ a range of assistants for all of our classes, including Parent-tot, Nursery, Kindergarten, Home-schooling class, as well as for the morning portion of grade school classes.
We have a limited but growing admin staff. Our admin staff are a key part of the school and community, needing to integrate with all aspects of the school: WESE board, teachers and parents. The ideal admin employee has a basic knowledge and interest in Waldorf pedagogy, a warm and welcoming (but firm!) presence. It is essential for our admin staff to be part of our community.
A Special note for all our positions: If you are interested in a position at our school, please contact us, regardless of whether that position is open at the moment. We would like to get to know you and have you get to know us, and you never know, we might be on the verge of expanding that position in the coming weeks. Email email@example.com with resume and cover letter
Current Job Postings
~ Sincere, ongoing and proactive steps towards Waldorf certification: Our ideal teaching candidates have Waldorf training or certification. However, we would like to hear from you if you are interested in waldorf, if you have researched getting waldorf training, or even better, enrolled at a waldorf training institute. If you need help or advice doing so, we would be happy to provide it.
~ Commitment: This is a really wonderful place to work! We are looking for people passionate about Waldorf education, who enjoy being part of a community, and who believe they can make the world better through their work. Starting from Grade One, Class Teachers move up with their classes, so our ideal candidate is someone who will make a commitment to stay with their class as long as possible, up to 8 years. While Kindergarten Teachers do not typically move up with the grades, it is important to have committed early childhood specialists who are continually upgrading their training and who will stay with our school for a number of years.
~ Active self-development: Waldorf educators must always be striving to be worthy of emulation. This is not easy, and perhaps the most challenging part of this calling. When hiring, we are not looking for perfection, but rather, those who are actively striving for personal development in all aspects of their lives.
~ Community-oriented, Interpersonal Skills: In such a grassroots community setting, it is essential that applicants possess strong communication and listening abilities. Our teachers work in collaboration with colleagues, class assistants, admin staff, the WESE Board of Directors, and our WISE families. Balancing all these roles and relationships is essential to building a harmonious work environment. Problems and difficulties arise in life and work, and we place a high value on those who can maintain a sense of calm, grace and empathy, especially in stressful situations.
~ All teachers in Alberta must have a Bachelor of Education and Alberta Certification: If you have a BEd from somewhere else, we might be able to help you transfer it, if there is enough time.
Kindergarten Teacher / Half Time (.6 FTE)
Founded in 2010, the Waldorf Independent School of Edmonton (WISE) is a K-8 growing school that fosters an environment where the whole child is nurtured and taught in a screen-free classroom setting.
The Waldorf Kindergarten offers a warm, beautiful and loving home-like environment that encourages the child’s imagination through developmentally appropriate stories, seasonal songs, free play and time spent in nature. The individual filling this position will guide their class through a developmentally appropriate Waldorf curriculum, fostering healthy relationships and an atmosphere of reverence, gratitude, wonder for the world and nature. The individual must be passionate about, and interested in learning and implementing Waldorf pedagogy. We invite you to bring your talent, ideas, energy and enthusiasm to help us prepare children for the opportunities and challenges of their future.
- Must have a Bachelor of Education degree.
- Must have an Alberta Teaching Certificate.
- Nurturing personality.
- Artistically and musically inclined.
- Enjoys being outdoors
- Committed to on-going personal and professional development.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multi-task with confidence.
- Excellent classroom management skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Waldorf Teacher Certification is preferred (or experience working within a Waldorf setting) but not a must for the ideal candidate.
- Teaching experience with groups of children under 6 years of age is desired.
- Willingness and ability to work within a community environment.
- Current CPR and Security Clearance Check
Hours and Length of Year:
- Kindergarten runs: Monday to Friday, half-day.
- September to June.
Salary & Benefits:
- The annual starting salary is $34,150 – $42,600 commensurate with experience and additional training.
- Employees are eligible for the WESE Comprehensive Employee Health Benefits Program.
- Waldorf Summer Training subsidy for teacher certification and curriculum training available to faculty.
- Priority enrolment to children of faculty members.
Qualified and interested candidates: Please apply with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Needs Aide- part time
In the Waldorf school we offer a holistic approach to education that seeks to educate the head, the heart and the hands (thinking, feeling and willing impulses) within the child, through the integration of an arts rich curriculum, time in nature, and an academically rich curriculum. The special needs assistant is a companion to the child in the classroom who can guide and support children with loving authority; providing boundaries, a predictable rhythm, and encouraging healthy interactions in the life of the child and the school.
A Special Needs Aide is required to have:
- Experience in working with children with special needs .
Desire to support the educational, emotional, physical and social needs of children in their care within a classroom setting.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; approachable for students, parents and colleagues.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills, resilience and adaptability.
- Willingness and proven ability to work within a community environment.
- Current CPR and criminal records check including vulnerable sector
- Current Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) training
Hours and Length of Year: (FTE 0.875)
Special needs aide is to be present during all classes and must be available for all PD and
teacher prep days and weekly faculty meetings as required.
Salary & Benefits: FTE 0.875
Offering a competitive salary.
In addition, our benefits include personal/sick days, Waldorf Training support and a health
- One-on-one supervision and support of a special needs student, including
- documentation requirements (ie. daily reporting of behaviour using a checklist or
- Assist the Class Teacher in class and lesson preparation, delivery and evaluation.
- Assist the Class Teacher with child supervision and support.
- Assist the Class Teacher in preparing for a minimum of 3 Parent Evenings a year.
- Assist with open houses and other school events and festivals wherever possible and as needed.
- Assist in outings and class trips that support the curriculum.
- Outdoor supervision, recess supervision, lunch duty, morning duty, and on-call
assignments as required.
- Must be willing to pursue extra training as needed.
- Work with WESE to create a nurturing and community focused environment for the
All Staff are guided by the philosophy and procedures outlined in the WISE Agreement Between Faculty Members, the WISE Faculty Handbook and by the Codes of Conduct and Discipline Policy which include the principles of Waldorf education, goals for the teacher, dress suitable for working with young children, and administrative responsibilities of the teacher.
*All new employees are subject to a 3 month probationary period.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com .
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered for the position.